Skip to main content

What is the answer for have you applied for permanent residency in US. Before on form 485?

Flushing, NY |
Filed under: Green cards

I had applied green card on skilled worker alien before and my i - 140 was approved which my attorney never told me and I found out on line my self entering my receipt number on usc is website , and then I received automated notification of my I - 140 approval and after that once I told my attorney he said the sponsor sold the business so my that case is still pending that was in 2007 and now I applied again on o - 1 category and my i - 140 got approved , so now on adjustment of status form 485 what should I check yes or no for if I ever applied for permanent status of residency in US ever ?

Attorney Answers 2


In the past case, did you apply for the I-140 and the I-485 at the same time, or just the I-140 first? If you never filed the I-485 before, then you didn't apply for permanent residency, even if you were in the process of it with your I-140, and you can check "no." If you did file the I-485, you would have to check "yes" and explain what the outcome of the case was.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues in that it depends on whether you filed I-485 previously. Consult an immigration lawyer. Many of us offer consultations at little or no charge.
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
(Office located within minutes of the George Washington Bridge)
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics