What is the amount of time, by law, to create residency? ( no written contract, only a verbal agreement)

Pottstown, PA |

I was offered by a friend to move into his home. I talked multiple times with him about rules, communication and living agreement. These talks were done in the presence of other people. After myself and my three children moved in, he decides that it is to much stress and orders me to get out. He gave me no notice. I refused and wanted to discuss the situation and asked for time to find another living arrangement, but that is going to be hard because I am unemployed. I am a single parent of three children and do not want to lose them to their father. This "friend" was well aware of all the previous situations that happened to my family. He called the police, who talked to me and gave me 7 calendar days to get out, they referred me to a shelter. I have a post office, no mail delivered

As a general rule you would be entitled to proper notice IAW your states laws. An owner/LL has NO POWER TO EVICT. Only a court does.

You did not say how long it was before he could no longer handle the situation, I suppose he could argue you were a mere guest and no notice required if you were only there a day or so. However, on the circumstances as you describe, I think you have a strong argument that you are a tenant and you are entitled to full protection afforded your status (at-will/month to month)--which means 30 days written notice.
The fact that police (who usually decline to involve themselves in a civil matter like this) said you only had 7 days, tells me that there may be additional facts that you did not post. Recommend you see a local landlord tenant attorney ASAP to determine your rights under ALL the circumstances.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

I started to clean the house march 2nd . We (myself, house owner, my mother, his one friend and my one friend,), moved almost all my belongings in on march 23 2012. we (meaning myself and my kids), starting sleeping in the home starting march 27th, only because my daughter had school and i did not want to change her bus stop until after the holiday. we (myself and my children) were here everyday all day til late evening. He told the police officer that he could not handle that my 14 yr old is depressed and under a doctors care for the last 6 months. he is aware that she cuts and threatens to kill herself. He actually said that she might be happier living in his home. She had an episode on sunday. March 31. We see a mobile therapist twice a week. She ended up going to my mothers and is doing better aftrer having an episode at my mothers as well. There were little "accidents" that happened, but nothing that was done purposely. the rooms are unpacked and the bikes are hung on the garage walls. he did a lot of things just becausde we were here. He told my mother that he would never throw me on the street on the day we were moving in my belongings. I feel confident that I did nothing wrong. he breached every oral contract/agreement we discussed. The only reason we discussed anything was because I pushed the conversation. The police were not nice and threatened multiple times to arrest me. i told him to do it and stopm talking about it. The one officer gave me information about a shelter and switched to the good cop. the other one was the bad cop. Previous conversation the house owner said that his cousins husband was a police officer in the township that he lives in. i did not ask the officers name. the house owner also said that this officer gave him "heads up information" previously. I did nothing wrong. I am not willing to lose my children.. I can afford 400 a month for rent. an apartment will run me 1000. and the house owner knew and knows everything about my finances and my life.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business