What is the amount of time, by law, to create residency? ( no written contract, only a verbal agreement)

Asked over 1 year ago - Pottstown, PA

I was offered by a friend to move into his home. I talked multiple times with him about rules, communication and living agreement. These talks were done in the presence of other people. After myself and my three children moved in, he decides that it is to much stress and orders me to get out. He gave me no notice. I refused and wanted to discuss the situation and asked for time to find another living arrangement, but that is going to be hard because I am unemployed. I am a single parent of three children and do not want to lose them to their father. This "friend" was well aware of all the previous situations that happened to my family. He called the police, who talked to me and gave me 7 calendar days to get out, they referred me to a shelter. I have a post office, no mail delivered

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . As a general rule you would be entitled to proper notice IAW your states laws. An owner/LL has NO POWER TO EVICT. Only a court does.

You did not say how long it was before he could no longer handle the situation, I suppose he could argue you were a mere guest and no notice required if you were only there a day or so. However, on the circumstances as you describe, I think you have a strong argument that you are a tenant and you are entitled to full protection afforded your status (at-will/month to month)--which means 30 days written notice.
    The fact that police (who usually decline to involve themselves in a civil matter like this) said you only had 7 days, tells me that there may be additional facts that you did not post. Recommend you see a local landlord tenant attorney ASAP to determine your rights under ALL the circumstances.