What is the age a child can request to live with their mother or father ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Austin, TX

The mother is the custodial parent

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Mark Anthony Cohan


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can file a motion to confer (which means your child will talk with the judge or social services to express their preference) when the child is 10-- however, that doesn't mean it will be granted. It's up to the judge's discretion until the child is 12, when the judge has to let your child express their preference. However, this still has to be in the best interest of the child to warrant a custody modification.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,703 answers this week

3,259 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,703 answers this week

3,259 attorneys answering