What is the accepted definition of "may not Frequent any establishment where alcohol is served as primary item"

Fort Smith, AR |

Does this mean: cannot enter, cannot go to bar with friends on occasion, cannot work in a bar or restaurant, or simply cannot cross threshold?

1. If you are on Probation and this is a term of Probation, or some other Court order, check with your Probation Officer or the lawyer who represented you.

I can not see an interpretation in which going to a bar with friends would be allowed. Working in or dining at an establishment where alcohol is served is likely also prohibited. As my colleague suggests, it may mean no entrance under any circumstances.

Best to assume the strictest interpretation is the correct one,

2. Can't go to a bar, nightclub, or liquor store. If you work in one, it is common to have the judge allow an exception to this term of probation for work purposes. On paper, it's a strict requirement. In practice, you have to either be an idiot or be really unlucky to get caught for violating it. Best of luck.

Jasen Nielsen

3. You are right, don't go to a bar, night club, liquor store, etc. A Dennys restaurant where alcohol may be served should be safe. But as attorney Nielsen said, highly unlikely you will get in trouble for violating this.

The answer above is for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship. The above response should not be relied upon for any specific situation. If you need legal advice specific to your needs, you should consult with a licensed attorney.

4. Technically the answer is "simply cannot cross the threshold". I am assuming you are on probation and this is part of the standard boilerplate language in your probation agreement. As a practical matter, you can work in a bar or restaurant with your probation officer's approval, which could be revoked if he/she decides you should no longer work there. Being caught any place where alcohol is served could be grounds to revoke your probation. Your probation officer has a lot of discretion on how strictly they make you follow the agreement.

State, local, and municipal law topics