What is the % should put in on a offer of compromise, saying owe back years (3) for over 6,000. should i offer 10% 20% ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Campbell, CA

hope u can reply, can i file or refile for those years? i never did. i can pay 1,000. now just to make go away! thnx

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Lori Jeanne Costanzo

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Instead of making an offer ask what is the minimum amount you can pay without being penalized. Secondly, hire an attorney who can negotiate for you.

    This is my opinion and should not be construed as legal advise for your specific case as there are many more facts... more
  2. Bruce Givner

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I cannot answer your question because the answer is based upon the financial statement that you will submit with your OIC. If your financial statement shows that you have no assets and you can afford to make no payments, then an offer of $1,000 will be a terrific offer. So the issue is not how much you owe; the issue is how much it looks like the IRS can collect from you. The only way the IRS will take a compromise is if it sees it has no choice, that it has no hopes of collecting more from you if it refuses your offer.

  3. Linda Simmons Campbell


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . An Offer in Compromise settlement amount is based on your assets and the amount available every month after you have paid your necessary living expenses. The Offer amount is not based on a percentage.

    Generally I recommend that you hire a tax attorney to submit an Offer, however, you do not owe a lot and it may not be cost effective.

    I offer a service, where for a minimal fee, I go over with you how to file an Offer and then review your paperwork prior to submission. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me.

    info@cttaxhelp.com Office number: (860) 255-7423 Website: www.cttaxhelp.com. Our reply to your question has not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,865 answers this week

3,110 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,865 answers this week

3,110 attorneys answering