What is supervised visitation?

I've been advised by a few lawyers on this site and I had a consultation with a lawyer in town who told me to ask for full custody and supervised visitation. I'm just curious what is supervised visitation?

Paragould, AR -

Scott Allen Scholl

Scott Allen Scholl

Family Law Attorney - North Little Rock, AR

It means that when someone has visitation with the child, someone else will be there to supervise the visitation.

Sometimes a parent will be granted visitation, but the Court will want someone to be present to ensure the welfare of the child. For example, if a parent has a serious substance abuse problem the Court may want to have visitation supervised to ensure that the parent does not become intoxicated while the child is in their care.

Sponsored Listing
June Ann Anteski

June Ann Anteski

Child Custody Lawyer - Paris, AR

The person that is designated to supervise the visitation will need to appear in Court to state that they are willing to be responsible for the child and are aware that they can face contempt of court if they fail to do so.

Related Advice