What is STATUS CONFERENCE HEARING?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tacoma, WA

im middle of divorce.. and me and my attorney kept delay our plea dates..

but we got STATUS CONFERENCE HEARING and after 1 week we got trial date too..

what is exactly means? STATUS CONFERENCE HEARING

if i don't agree my divorce on STATUS CONFERENCE HEARING, do i have to go trial?

if i agree, then it will be settle everything on STATUS CONFERENCE HEARING date? No Trial?
No Court?
Or even i agree everything on STATUS CONFERENCE HEARING date and then do i need to go trial?

thank you

1. Scheherazade B Rastegar-Djavahery

2

Answered . Status conference hearings provide you and your divorcing spouse the opportunity to update the court on the progress of your case. For example, if you've reached an agreement with your spouse outside of court using mediation, you can inform the court at the status conference. I recommend that you ask your attorney to provide some more detailed guidance about the divorce process in order to clear up any questions you may have. Good luck.

2. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

2

Answered . A status conference is to inform the court on what exactly is going on in the case. It is not actually a hearing. Both sides simply inform the court of the facts of the status of the case. Discuss this with your own lawyer.

3. Bruce Clement

Pro

Answered . Normally a status conference is scheduled because you or your spouse have not followed the case schedule, or have missed mandatory deadlines. At the status conference the judge will ask the two of you what caused this problem, and will order the two of you to do whatever it is that you failed to do. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on divorce for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”