What is slander in the workplace?

Asked 6 months ago - Estes Park, CO

Continuing with the thread of a question I asked a few days ago regarding HR telling a DL I am a troublemaker, is that statement slanderous? It is the opinion of the HR staff person and is now damaging my reputation because the DL has asked other staff I worked with if I am a troublemaker.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Remington Way Fang

    Contributor Level 12
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I would call an employment law attorney. The hardest part about proving a slander case is proving actual damages. However, there are many states where slander related to a person's professional aptitude have built-in or presumed damages. The last time I checked, Colorado is one of those states.

    These claims are difficult and costly to pursue, but not impossible. Also, I would have the attorney rule out any hostile workplace claims.

  2. Martin W. Judnich


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . What do you think a jury would give you if you could prove that this person called you a "troublemaker"? They are not exactly calling you a child molester. It is unlikely that characterization would go very far in court, if anywhere at all for just that. If HR is making these comments, then you can usually file a grievance if you have a union, or move up the ladder of HR, and get that HR representative in trouble. There is always a superior to somebody in HR, so move up the chain.

    licensed attorney in Montana. Your specific state laws may be different.

Related Topics

Personal injury and slander

Slander is a type of defamation that occurs when one person verbally harms another person’s character. These false accusations can damage another’s reputation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,512 answers this week

3,393 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,512 answers this week

3,393 attorneys answering