What is Request for Hearing on Garnishment of property other than personal earnings?

I received a summary judgment and received a letter from the court a legal notice where I can't attempt to transfer any properties within few days and I can request for hearing on garnishment of property other than personal earnings? Only thing I have is $70,000 of IRA and few hundred dollars in the checking account. What would happen if I ignore this letter? Are they going to send a sheriff to my residence and take my furniture? Can they take my $70,000 IRA?

Los Angeles, CA -

Attorney Answers (1)

Peter Robert Stone

Peter Robert Stone

Personal Injury Lawyer - Citrus Heights, CA

They cannot take your IRA its "exempt." They are likely not going to take your furniture unless the creditor is the retail outlet that sold you the furniture and you stopped payingg on it.

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.