Skip to main content

What is reasonable retainer fee and/or flat fee?

North Hollywood, CA |

Divorce Situation: No kids, no real property, no savings or retirement accounts. No stocks or other equities, Only issues are bills (About 80K), Health Insurance (which I have already researched) and division of personal property. What amount can I be expect to be charged for an attorney's service? Husband is abusive and uncooperative so this cannot be done without counsel unfortunately.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. I have no familiarity with other attorney's flat fee rates (many won't do flat fees at all with family law). Given the situation as you described -- no kids, no property, only debt -- as an example I have taken similar cases for $3,500 flat fee or $250/hr. I know other attorneys who bill upwards of $450 an hour, so "reasonable" is fairly subjective.

    Stephanie White
    Simi Valley, CA

    DISCLAIMER: The above is not legal advice nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship with the person posting the question or any person reading the above. There is no attorney-client relationship between any reader and this writer or her firm. These comments are not subject to any privilege protections. They are neither privileged nor confidential. The information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. Accordingly these comments cannot be relied upon as the law and the facts may differ from those with which the reader of this communication may be dealing.

    The following disclosure is required pursuant to IRS Circular 230: unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

  2. Normally, should be no more than $2500-$3000 but in LA hold on to your purse. Try and get a reasonable flat fee, the hourly on something like this could eat up your bank account. Also try to find an attorney who is willing to seek attorney fees aggressively from the uncooperative spouse.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics