What is proper venue for contempt of court?

Seattle, WA |

I was held in contempt of court by the county of the original PP. The court was a sham. Improper service, lack of evidence, abuse of discretion, etc. etc. I am working on the motion to vacate. I live in a different county and have. Don't proceedings, especially criminal, have to be held in the county in which the alleged crime occurs. I kept my daughter from her mother because of abandonment, suicidal suggestions, DV in the home, and forcing my daughter to conceal DV. My daughter went to school for four months and established herself at my home. So it seems to me that county 2 not only had jurisdiction for that reason, but also because of the criminal nature of what I was doing was done in my county.

There are different types of contempt; when it relates to violation of a parenting plan, it is civil contempt, and it is almost always appropriate in the original court that issued the order.

Then what would the exceptions be? This argument is only additional support for my motion to vacate and is not at all the most significant irregularity in the matter.

Kate M Forrest

Kate M Forrest

The court that issues the order has exclusive continuing jurisdiction, but it can cede jurisdiction to another court if it is no longer an appropriate venue - I have only ever seen this when none of the parties live in the jurisdiction anymore, and evidence about the best interests of the child (usually in the form of witnesses) is more readily found elsewhere.

Thank you for your feedback.

You had the ability to file a Motion for revision 10 days after the contempt order was signed. If you failed to take advantage of this court rule, you will not get very far on a Motion t Vacate.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.

I disagree. I am learning a lot about the law, and that laws are clear and in most cases unquestionable. Improper service is just one of the many "irregularities" in this matter, and while a biased judge can certainly deny my motion to vacate, I am not relying on her sense of justice any longer. An appeal of her denial of the motion will be filed the day she does so.

Dave Hawkins

Dave Hawkins

well it sounds like you do not need an attorney after-all -- good luck.

Not one that makes decisions before hearing all the facts anyway.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes