What is Pre Trial Memorandum for a divorce case? Middlesex County NJ.

South Plainfield, NJ |

Handling Divorce case PROSE and the judge has asked me to deliver a Pre Trail Memorandum. I have found numerous examples on line ranging from simple forms to Memos prepared by attorneys with alot of case law , statutes and legal verbiage.
I have a masters degree and can write to the point but I dont have the legal background to prepare an intensive document. Will simple to the point work or am I at a BIG disadvantage by not using the statutes and case law. Side note. My ex is being represented by an attorney who is their family friend. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Yes, you are a disadvantage under the facts you describe. The trial will be even more challenging.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

My colleague is correct. You should have an experienced Divorce Lawyer representing you.

DISCLAIMER The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

Yes you will be at a disadvantage. I would suggest you obtain a copy of the New Jersey Rules of Court and follow the procedures outlined therein. Using a format on line may not comport with the rules of court. Good luck

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: The response to the question posted is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. The response is intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and is provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Responses are based solely upon New Jersey law.

I agree that you are at a disadvantage in not being represented. Since you are going to trial, that would mean that for whatever reason you could not settle your case. Once you complete the trial and have a judgment, while there is the right to appeal, that is even more expensive so you are basically stuck with that judgment. You did not say what your issues are, but I am sure they are significant otherwise you would have settled the case. My suggestion is that you retain a lawyer to do the trial. While it may be hard to come in at that late date, depending upon when your trial date is and who your judge is, the lawyer may be able to get more time. Even if the Judge will not adjourn the trial, you are still better off having a lawyer do the trial, especially if your ex has a lawyer. Family friend or not, that party will have a distinct advantage.

Disclaimer: The information you obtain at this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Review of this answer does not in any way constitute legal representation,