What is Pre Trial Memorandum for a divorce case? Middlesex County NJ.

Asked about 1 year ago - South Plainfield, NJ

Handling Divorce case PROSE and the judge has asked me to deliver a Pre Trail Memorandum. I have found numerous examples on line ranging from simple forms to Memos prepared by attorneys with alot of case law , statutes and legal verbiage.
I have a masters degree and can write to the point but I dont have the legal background to prepare an intensive document. Will simple to the point work or am I at a BIG disadvantage by not using the statutes and case law. Side note. My ex is being represented by an attorney who is their family friend. Any guidance will be appreciated.

1. Yolanda Navarrete

3

Answered . Yes, you are a disadvantage under the facts you describe. The trial will be even more challenging.

2. David F Salvaggio

2

Answered . My colleague is correct. You should have an experienced Divorce Lawyer representing you.

3. John B. D'Alessandro

Answered . Yes you will be at a disadvantage. I would suggest you obtain a copy of the New Jersey Rules of Court and follow the procedures outlined therein. Using a format on line may not comport with the rules of court. Good luck

4. Geraldene Sherr Duswalt

Pro

Answered . I agree that you are at a disadvantage in not being represented. Since you are going to trial, that would mean that for whatever reason you could not settle your case. Once you complete the trial and have a judgment, while there is the right to appeal, that is even more expensive so you are basically stuck with that judgment. You did not say what your issues are, but I am sure they are significant otherwise you would have settled the case. My suggestion is that you retain a lawyer to do the trial. While it may be hard to come in at that late date, depending upon when your trial date is and who your judge is, the lawyer may be able to get more time. Even if the Judge will not adjourn the trial, you are still better off having a lawyer do the trial, especially if your ex has a lawyer. Family friend or not, that party will have a distinct advantage.