What is post judgement modification

Asked about 2 years ago - Hackensack, NJ

in a legal case of personal injury caused by employer neglagance

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Michael A Orozco

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A post judgment modification is an application to the court seeking to modify the judgment based upon changed circumstances which were not previously known. The term you used is typically applied to divorce proceedings. In a personal injury action there are different forms in which an attorney can make an application to the court to modify an award from a jury. Since your inquiry mentioned employer negligence, this may also be a worker's compensation matter, which has its own set of rules. You should contact an attorney and have all of your documents available for his/her review.

  2. James M. Clancy


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The terms you are using don't normally apply to a personal injury case. In the worker's compensation court it is an " Application for review or Modification of a prior Award"
    This is a proceeding to either have your award incresed if you have gotten worse or to stop benefits if the employer has evidence that you may have improved or commited a fraud.

  3. Michael A Ferrara Jr


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In order for your question to be answered need the following: 1) what type of injury 2) was a lawsuit filed in Superior Court 3) was a worker's compensation case filed 4) what NJ county is this happening 5) do you have an attorney 6) what advice has he or she giving you Thanks

    Please note that these answers are provided as a community service and are not meant to create an attorney-client... more
  4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Speak to local counsel. It may be that the judgment entered after trial, has to be modified because of employer negligence. That can affect the part of the judgment that otherwise may go to the work comp carrier/employer, or reduce the amount awarded to you against the deft, based on negligence of the employer. These can be tricky issues, and you really need to sit down with your lawyer to have it explained.

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Jon Mitchell Jackson

Automobile Accidents

Most people are not aware of the fact that motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of injury and death in the United States. Americans collectively drive almost three trillion miles... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,571 answers this week

3,051 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,571 answers this week

3,051 attorneys answering