What is perfection in the context of secured transactions?

Asked about 1 year ago - Charlotte, NC

What is perfection in the context of secured transactions? How can something perfected be more perfect than something else that is perfected?

1. Lisa G. Godfrey

1

Answered . Perfection in the contexxt of a secured transaction is the legal step necessary to make the security interest in the collateral enforcable. For most collateral other than real estate, perfection refers to filing a UCC-1 form with the Secretary of State for the state in which teh collateral is located. This is a public fililng showing that can be searched on line. That prevents the debtor from selling the collateral without first paying off her debt.

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

1

Answered . Perfected in that context means recorded officially. Something can be more perfected by being officially recorded first before someone attempts to (or actually does) "perfect" (officially record) a contrary thing.

3. Pamela Koslyn

1

Answered . Also not an intellectual property question that needs to be re-categorized, with another confused asker including the kitchen sink of keywords for their question.