What is p.c 1385 for immigration

Long Beach, CA |
Filed under: Immigration

what does penal code 1385 mean in terms of immigration? Thanks

wow great answer Mr. Shanfield and thank you

Good question. Cal. PC 1385 means that the court has dismissed the action. Some immigration grounds of removal or inadmssibility require a conviction, so if a criminal matter is dismissed without conviction, those specific immigration grounds don't apply. Some grounds are conduct based however (drug trafficking for example), so the conduct could still possibly get the non-citizen in trouble.

I would recommend speaking with an experienced immigration lawyer about this before filing any immigration applications or traveling abroad.

Good luck!

408-457-1549 Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature and should not be deemed legal counsel, as not all factual issues are known. Participants should retain an immigration defense lawyer to review their own legal matter. The information provided does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. 1385 is the authority of a court to dismiss a charge. It cannot be evaluated in isolation.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. I agree with Attorney Ferrari.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

4. I agree with my colleagues. Consult with an immigration attorney before you file anything with USCIS.