What is our basis in real property inherited via a testamentary trust??

Windsor, CA |

my Grandmother died in 1974 at that time a testamentary trust came into effect for the benefit of our Mother-Mother passed away in 2011 and my sister and I were the beneficiaries of the trust--What is our basis in the real property? Are we entitled to a stepped-up basis or must we use the carry over basis?

1. As a very general rule, unless the assets of the testamentary trust were included in the gross estate of your mother on her death for federal estate tax purposes (eg, because she has a general power of appointment), the federal income tax basis in the property will not be adjusted upon your mother's death. You really have to speak to the CPA and/or the lawyer assisting with the administration of the trust, or take a copy of the terms of the trust to an experienced CPA or attorney (particularly in fiduciary tax), to get a definitive answer.

NOTICE: The foregoing is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to create, and should not be construed as creating, an attorney-client relationship. Legal advice that you rely upon in making important decisions should only be obtained from direct communications with a lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction after there has been a full disclosure of all of the relevant facts. That said, you should never provide information that you intend to be confidential or privileged on a forum such as this, and you should never rely on information provided here as a substitute for such legal advice. Also, please note that any U.S. tax information provided above is not intended to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code or for promoting, marketing, or recommending any portion of this communication to any party.

Tax law topics