What is needed for a house that was paid off thru mortgage company when both persons have passed away?

Asked over 2 years ago - Shippensburg, PA

The husband passed first in 2000, then mother changed with mortgage company's life insurance on what was left to pay off when he passed. Now I have a deed in trust was sent by mortgage to me when mother passed (2006) and the loan was paid in full. I need to change the names on the deed to mine and my brothers.

1. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . You need to probate the estate. If she had a will then the executor needs to petiton for letters testamenatary. If there was no will then a sibling can petition the court for letters of administration. Nothing gets done until this happens. There is a lot more to an estate administration than you think.

For a sense of what is involved in administering an estate in PA, please see the following two articles: Estate & Probate Administration: Do Not Try This On Your Own at http://www.sjfpc.com/page1.html and Pennsylvania Probate & Estate Administration: Executor Duties at http://www.sjfpc.com/pennsylvania_probate_estat...

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is