What is my recourse re: a (very) uncooperative court reporter (> 1 issue?) (The board & 2 supers have already, been contacted.)

Highland, CA |
Filed under: Professional ethics

I attempted to obtain transcripts 2 yrs ago. My 1st call was 10/05/10 in addition to several calls, (vm's, & speaking to a super, in between. On 11/13/10 ( > 1 mo later) I received a vm giving me an estimate of $280/$560 (exp svc.) Spoke w/her on 8/9/12 & was told to email the info. She replied 66 min l8r: "I will give u the estimates tomorrow." 4 days later, no est. I emailed her again, & she replied by claiming I never emailed her the dates (even though she replied to my email.) Fee is now only $256/$512 (2x's the legal amt) She refused to cease wrkng on the trans. If I am "a paying customer" (as stated by rep @ state boards) why is there such disregard when it pertains to my wishes. Enforcement analyst says: "we'll take it from there," if no call back (from super) by Wed. (2 be cont...

I should have made it clear that I paid for her services in advance. The transcripts are still, not available to me. The notes have already been transcribed, as my sister has already purchased a copy of the same transcripts. It's been 3 weeks since I gave her the money, and although I asked she stop working on them, last week, she refused to do so. As of the day before, she hadn't even started on them, according to her email. She also, refused to give me my change until she gives me the documents. Which is what I had expected in the first place so, I had no problem w/that. I would hope to not have any judgment passed on me, as to what our relationship is/was. I have no relationship with her. It was a business transaction/relationship, nothing more and nothing less. An enforcement analyst is attempting to contact her for me. Thank you in advance, for any additional answers to my question.

1. She has something you need that only she can provide. She has not been paid yet for any of the work she has performed. Now, how upset do you want to make this person?

A proper response would require a thorough investigation into the history and background of this relationship. The information provided above is just that, information, to be used as you see fit.

2. I suspect there is more to the story.
    The court reporter would certainly want to get the transcript to you, because that his how she gets paid.
    If the transcript is available, and you agreed to pay (which I suspect may be part of the problem based on your description) then I am sure you will get it.

Professional ethics topics