What is my present status now ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I came here as an B2 visitor and my I-94 expired as of January of this year I am married to an USC that's why I am still here, but I haven't filed my documents as yet but I am wondering whats my Status at this present moment can someone please answer me. Thank you.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. David Nabow Soloway

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As others already have pointed out, marriage to a U.S. citizen does not, by itself, provide any immigration benefit, and since your authorized stay as a visitor has expired, you no longer are in status. Under current immigration law, however, that should not stand in the way of success in adjusting status to become a Lawful Permanent Resident (to get a "Green Card") through a marriage-based adjustment of status application.

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

    David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal... more
  2. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . "Out of status"

    Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact... more
  3. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Out of status /overstay

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  4. Danny Garmo

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . OUT OF STATUS!! Nothing has been filed to Adjust Status.

    Garmo Law Group, PLLC (Michigan) 248-626-0050. This advice is only general in nature and does not constitute an... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,322 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,322 answers this week

3,377 attorneys answering