What is my options to get info relating to my daughter in a suit filed on her behalf by her husband because she is brain damaged

Asked over 2 years ago - Duluth, GA

My daughter is brain damaged from complications of childbirth from northwest community hospital. Her husband filed a lawsuit against the hospital but refuses to update me with the status and neither will the attorneys because they say am not listed as next of kin. I suspect my son in law plans to abandon my daughter as soon as he receives the award and flee to south africa. I think the award is imminent. What are my options since my daughter will be without the care she needs

1. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

2

Best Answer

Answered . As your daughter is emancipated (whether by age or by marriage), you do not currently have any entitlement to information without some written authority from your daughter. At this moment, you have no options.

For that to change, you would need to somehow intervene in the matter regarding your daughter. As such you need to enlist the assistance of an attorney who is familiar with both Disability Law and Guardianship/Conservatorship Law . It would be best for you to retain an attorney before your son-in-law's case reaches a conclusion.

I hope this information is helpful in answering your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

2. Daniel Ellis Rice

2

Answered . I advise that you speak with an attorney familiar with disability issues and family and probate law. There are too many issues to deal with them in this general forum. I suggest that you possibly contact the following attorney. She is one of the "go to" attorneys in this general field. Good luck.

Ruthann P. Lacey
    Law Office of Ruthann P. Lacey, P.C.
    3541-E Habersham at Northlake
    Tucker, GA 30084

Phone: (770) 939-4616
    Fax: (770) 939-1758
    Email: info@elderlaw-lacey.com

3. James B. Hernan

2

Answered . You could file a petition to try to challenge that your son-in-law is acting in the best interest of your daughter. I agree with the other posts that to accomplish that you will need to speak with an attorney face to face who handles issues related to guardianship and disability cases. This is a highly specialized area of practice and the case should be handled by someone with significant experience handling similar cases.

Best of luck to you, and I admire you for fighting for what is best for your daughter.

4. Michael Lawson Neff

Pro

1

Answered . I agree that RuthAnn Lacey is excellent lawyer for financial guardianship issues like this one.