Skip to main content

What is my options to get info relating to my daughter in a suit filed on her behalf by her husband because she is brain damaged

Duluth, GA |

My daughter is brain damaged from complications of childbirth from northwest community hospital. Her husband filed a lawsuit against the hospital but refuses to update me with the status and neither will the attorneys because they say am not listed as next of kin. I suspect my son in law plans to abandon my daughter as soon as he receives the award and flee to south africa. I think the award is imminent. What are my options since my daughter will be without the care she needs

Attorney Answers 4


As your daughter is emancipated (whether by age or by marriage), you do not currently have any entitlement to information without some written authority from your daughter. At this moment, you have no options.

For that to change, you would need to somehow intervene in the matter regarding your daughter. As such you need to enlist the assistance of an attorney who is familiar with both Disability Law and Guardianship/Conservatorship Law . It would be best for you to retain an attorney before your son-in-law's case reaches a conclusion.

I hope this information is helpful in answering your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I advise that you speak with an attorney familiar with disability issues and family and probate law. There are too many issues to deal with them in this general forum. I suggest that you possibly contact the following attorney. She is one of the "go to" attorneys in this general field. Good luck.

Ruthann P. Lacey
Law Office of Ruthann P. Lacey, P.C.
3541-E Habersham at Northlake
Tucker, GA 30084

Phone: (770) 939-4616
Fax: (770) 939-1758

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You could file a petition to try to challenge that your son-in-law is acting in the best interest of your daughter. I agree with the other posts that to accomplish that you will need to speak with an attorney face to face who handles issues related to guardianship and disability cases. This is a highly specialized area of practice and the case should be handled by someone with significant experience handling similar cases.

Best of luck to you, and I admire you for fighting for what is best for your daughter.

DISCLAIMER: This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationsip has been, or will be, created until a valid engagement agreement is signed. No duty arises from this posting. Answers posted here are general and made with limited knowledge of the actual facts of your case. Always speak with an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction if you wish legal advice specific to your case.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree that RuthAnn Lacey is excellent lawyer for financial guardianship issues like this one.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics