What is my likely sentence on a third degree domestic assault second offense charge (class 4 felony) in Nebraska?

Lincoln, NE |

Previous domestic assault charge, I received a $350 fine. I am nineteen years old and the domestic assault was against my seventeen year old girlfriend. However, there was no damage done to her, just a few red marks on her arm and I was left with a bite on my arm. This was three weeks ago, and I still have a bruise from the bite. I am facing a 0 to 5 year sentence. I am hoping for probation or anything other than jail time. But what should I expect?

You may want to get a domestic violence evaluation to help with the request for probation. We are happy to offer you a free initial consultation to talk about the case. Give us a call at 402-455-1711 to set up a time to talk. We have been in business for almost 25 years and fight hard for the people we represent.

The fact that you are so young and already have a previous charge for domestic assault is not going to help with your chances of probation. Hire an attorney so that you can fight the charges. You can ask the county attorney to recommend probation, but with your record they may not be willing to do that.

I am a licensed attorney in the state of Nebraska. However, the advice I give here is not to be taken as legal advice. It is merely my opinion based on the limited information given. In order to assure that your legal rights are being properly represented I would always recommend going in for a consultation with an attorney to explain your case in detail and answer any questions the attorney might have.

You probably shoud refrain from commenting about facts of the case, i.e. the red marks of your girlfriend's arm, in a public forum. Remember too that you have not yet been convicted. Mr. Kelly is correct that is you want to start laying the groundwork for any sentence of probation, start now with a domestic violence evaluation and getting some sort of counseling.

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis

great counsel- i have endorsed you perhaps you would consider reciprocating?