What is my liability for a party held by my renters that may have caused the death of somebody off premises?

Erie, PA |

I'm going to add this to the list of things I never thought I'd have to know. I rented out my old house to tenants effective last month. Rent is current. The tenants apparently held a New Years Eve party. Somebody at that party got overly drunk. My tenant claims to have kicked him out of the house. The guest of my tenant winds up being found dead one street down. What is my liability? If you have additional questions I can try to answer if I have the information. The situation is still developing.

Dear Erie Landlord:

I am an attorney licensed to practice law in New York. i do not practice law in Pennsylvania.

Try to remove this post. Your statement here may be used against you in any litigation for the death of the guest. Admissions of fact, however innocent it may seem to you, will be used to build a case. Contact an attorney right away.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Likely nothing. Landlords are not responsible for the activities of their tenants. It would be very, very difficult for any of this liability to come back to you. If someone does make a claim, you'll want to get in touch with your insurance company immediately.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Landlord-tenant topics