What is my length of deportation bar?

Arlington, VA |

I received order of removal because my Asylum case was denied and left the country before end of removal date stated. Do I get a 5 years or 10 years deportation bar? Thank you very much.

Most likely 5, should state in your order of removal. It could be 10, but up to 20 if you reenter illegally after the deportation order.

To answer your question, a close examination of your file is required. I suggest you file a G-639 FOIA and talk to a lawyer.

Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

More information is needed to answer your question.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration