Skip to main content

What is my best course of action at this point?

Hollywood, FL |

Made a deposit last Saturday with used car dealership to purchase a car, arrangement was to have car inspected which was completed Wednesday and deals and counter deals were exchanged on Thursday. Dealer did not hold check but deposited to his account and advised after the fact. On Friday dealer claims he could not wait and subsequently sold vehicle that day to another customer. Yesterday dealer says he was in a neighboring county and would not be in office today but was to advise where and when to pick up check today. Have not heard from dealer since yesterday despite numerous attempts to contact him re arrangements to pick up check

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If he continues to avoid you I would suggest having an attorney write a demand letter to him requiring that he immediately return the money or you will begin a lawsuit.

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only.


Don't wait. Get a no or low cost consultation with someone who handles auto fraud and/or lemon law like Dana Manner. Find that person here:


It sounds like the dealer breached the agreement with you and now is stalling on refunding your money. You can wait and see what happens if you want. You can also talk to a local lemon lawyer and find our for sure what your rights are and get ready to take action too. Depending on the amount of your deposit, you can probably file a claim in your local small claims court too. Look at your deposit receipt and any paperwork the dealer gave you and see what it says about refunding your deposit - that may be important too. Regardless of what it says though, you probably have the right to get your money back. When you get tired of waiting, go to and find a lemon lawyer near you. Florida has several. Then talk to them about what happened to you and get solid advice on your rights. Many states have consumer protection laws that give you the right to recover multiple damages plus attorney fees when a car dealer does things like this to a consumer. Find out for sure what your rights are and then take action. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote Up” review below. And please be sure to indicate the best answer to your question so we can all be sure we are being helpful. Thanks for asking and Good Luck. Ron Burdge,

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. For a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers, click on this link ( and find one near you


Be sure to communicate with the dealer via fax or return receipt certified mail. You have a strong case to get your deposit back. For some car buying tips, check out the articles section of my website. I wish you the best in the future.

Disclaimer: The above is intended to give you, the consumer, some insight into various legal topics. This information is not intended as legal advice, but rather an attempt to provide helpful topical information. Please consult a lawyer as to the specific circumstances of your case. Again, this is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. If there are more facts that you overlooked and did not include in your initial question and you would like to email me, you may send an email to

Lemon law topics

Recommended articles about Lemon law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer