What is my best course of action at this point?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Hollywood, FL

Made a deposit last Saturday with used car dealership to purchase a car, arrangement was to have car inspected which was completed Wednesday and deals and counter deals were exchanged on Thursday. Dealer did not hold check but deposited to his account and advised after the fact. On Friday dealer claims he could not wait and subsequently sold vehicle that day to another customer. Yesterday dealer says he was in a neighboring county and would not be in office today but was to advise where and when to pick up check today. Have not heard from dealer since yesterday despite numerous attempts to contact him re arrangements to pick up check

1. Galen J Criscione

1

Answered . If he continues to avoid you I would suggest having an attorney write a demand letter to him requiring that he immediately return the money or you will begin a lawsuit.

2. Steven Michael Fahlgren

Pro

1

Answered . Be sure to communicate with the dealer via fax or return receipt certified mail. You have a strong case to get your deposit back. For some car buying tips, check out the articles section of my website. http://www.fortheconsumer.com/articles.htm I wish you the best in the future.

3. Scott Richard Kaufman

2

Answered . Don't wait. Get a no or low cost consultation with someone who handles auto fraud and/or lemon law like Dana Manner. Find that person here: http://www.naca.net

4. Ronald Lee Burdge

2

Answered . It sounds like the dealer breached the agreement with you and now is stalling on refunding your money. You can wait and see what happens if you want. You can also talk to a local lemon lawyer and find our for sure what your rights are and get ready to take action too. Depending on the amount of your deposit, you can probably file a claim in your local small claims court too. Look at your deposit receipt and any paperwork the dealer gave you and see what it says about refunding your deposit - that may be important too. Regardless of what it says though, you probably have the right to get your money back. When you get tired of waiting, go to www.USLemonLawyers.com and find a lemon lawyer near you. Florida has several. Then talk to them about what happened to you and get solid advice on your rights. Many states have consumer protection laws that give you the right to recover multiple damages plus attorney fees when a car dealer does things like this to a consumer. Find out for sure what your rights are and then take action. If this answer was helpful, please give a “Vote Up” review below. And please be sure to indicate the best answer to your question so we can all be sure we are being helpful. Thanks for asking and Good Luck. Ron Burdge, www.CarSalesFraud.com