What is most likely to be given to me?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Aurora, CO

I got my first DUI but i have no license. I agreed to get a blood test and result will be given in about two weeks. The cop told me he stopped me because i was swerving. They sent me to Detox, was in there for about 12 hours. The woman i talked to in there told me I should sign up for DUI classes before my court, January 18th, 2013, so they'll see I am being proactive about it.
What do you think the judge will give me?

Oh and also a year ago i got an underagerinking violation in which its already closed but i though i'd let you know.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gary F Pirosko

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . The outcome often depends on the exact facts of your case. The best way to proceed may be to call the District Attorney's office and tell them that you want to "make discovery" of your file. You should state that you do not have an attorney, otherwise they will tell you that you need to have an attorney order it. Once you receive the discovery you can start contacting attorneys to determine if you even need an attorney, and if so, which attorney would be the best fit. Sometimes you need the best trial attorney, sometimes you need a good attorney to plea bargain your case, and sometimes you just might want an attorney to stand next to you in court because you are nervous. You obviously could pay an attorney hundreds of dollars to make discovery for you, but that is not necessary.

  2. Nicholas Lubchenco

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . There are too many variables for us to reliably advise you. It depends greatly on your specific facts, your DA, your judge, etc. It depends on if you want to accept the first offer from the DA regardless of whether it is a good offer or not. It depends on whether you have an attorney and that attorney's ability to negotiate or go to trial depending on your facts and wishes. Many people go in without a lawyer on first offenses and plead to offers that aren't good offers because its cheaper than hiring an attorney and because they are promised probation. Without having a DUI lawyer represent you or at least review your discovery, as Mr. Pirosko suggests, you will not likely fully understand your options. Mr. Pirosko is one of the best DUI attorneys in Colorado. He is a good place to start if you are looking for an excellent DUI attorney.
    Good luck.

  3. Rhidian David Watson Orr

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You should go get your license. That is step #1. Then you should contact several experienced DUI Defense attorneys for a consultation. Whether you choose to hire an attorney is your choice, but understand that a DUI or DWAI is a lifelong offense and will follow you forever. You should do everything possible to avoid this criminal and DMV record. Your future may depend on it.

    As Mr. Pirosko mentioned, there are too many variables for anyone to speculate on what your penalty would be. I agree that you should never pay an attorney to acquire discovery for you, but I also think that you should consider hiring an attorney sooner than later. It can take weeks if not months sometimes to get discovery and base discovery is just a small piece of what actually exists. If you do not know how or where to go to get this information, there is a chance that some of it is not preserved and you may miss that key piece of evidence that would have benefited your case.

    Take the time and call some local DUI attorneys and then make a decision on what you want to do based on the consulatations and detailed explanations you get from these attorneys. There is no right or wrong answer and you need to do whatever is in your best interest. Only you can decide what that is.

    The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI plea bargain

Plea bargains occur when a DUI defendant makes a deal with the prosecutor to plead guilty in exchange for reduced charges and/or sentencing

Sarah Jessica Farber

After the conviction, then what?

You or a loved one have been convicted of a crime against the State of North Carolina. This means you either entered a plea or went to trial in a North Carolina county court. Well, now... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,567 answers this week

3,050 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,567 answers this week

3,050 attorneys answering