What is likely to happen? Do i need a defense attorney? If i pay my fines right away, will i be alright?

Flatwoods, KY |

I am on unsupervised probation in Ohio which ends in February. I am attending college and have a good GPA, I also have a job. I was written a ticket for possession of a joint of marijuana in Greenup, Ky. I have a court date on October 23rd. I am trying to have a career and do something with my life, only making some bad decisions along the way.. Learning my lesson quickly. I dont want this on my record.

1. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney in your area ASAP. www.kacdl.net

Possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor crime in KY that carries up to 45 days in jail and court costs of approx. $135.00. A conviction is also grounds to revoke your probated sentence in Ohio. You need an attorney.

§ 218A.1422. Possession of marijuana - Penalty - Maximum term of incarceration

(1) A person is guilty of possession of marijuana when he or she knowingly and unlawfully possesses marijuana.
    (2) Possession of marijuana is a Class B misdemeanor, except that, KRS Chapter 532 to the contrary notwithstanding, the maximum term of incarceration shall be no greater than forty-five (45) days.
    Cite as KRS 218A.1422

History. Effective: June 8, 2011
    Amended 2011, Ky. Acts ch. 2, sec. 16, effective June 8, 2011. -- Created 1992 Ky. Acts ch. 441, sec. 19, effective July 14, 1992.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

2. If you pay the fine, that is an acceptance of GUILT. You need to hire an attorney in your area. You may be eligible for diversion or you may have the record sealed after completing a marijuana education class. An attorney can help you with these decisions and filing paperwork.

Kentucky law does not certify specialty of practice in this area. The advice given herein is informational and should not be considered as creating an attorney/client relationship. Michael Bouldin is an independent attorney located in Northern Kentucky. It is strongly recommended to not give any confidential information on any website.

3. Get an attorney. You risk a probation in Ohio.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.