What is Level M - Misdemeanor, Charge S?

Asked about 3 years ago - Panama City, FL

I have a notice to appear on a charge of Retail Theft Shoplifting. It was valued at less than $60 so it's Second Degree Misdemeanor. This is my first offense and I have admitted to having a serious problem about shoplifting. online at my case and it says Level M I'm guessing for Misdemeanor, and Degree S is the part that I'm cofused about. Any help, tips are much appreciated.

1. Scott G. Berry

Answered . It is not a good idea to make admissions regarding problems you have with theft online when you are facing a charge of theft in court, regardless of whether you have a problem with theft. That being said, the S stands for Second Degree Misdemeanor. If it had been a first degree misdemeanor, you would have seen the degree as an "F" for first degree misdemeanor.

2. Anthony Rubino

Answered . As stated by the attorney above, it is a second degree misdemeanor.

If it is your first offense, you will likely be eligible for a pretrial diversion program. That program will likely include an anti-theft course. Maybe this course will help you avoid future shop lifting. If you keep shoplifting your court options will become more limited and you will ultimately be looking at jail.

Best of luck.

3. Patrick Norman Bailey

Answered . Second degree misdemeanor is punishable by up to sixty days in jail and/or up to six months probation. If you have two or more theft charges, it could be increased to a third degree felony. You should speak to an attorney about your case.