What is holding a pillow over a child's face considered? Is it attempted murder?

Asked about 1 year ago - Covina, CA

My dad tried to suffocate me with a pillow when I was a kid.

1. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . If I was defending your father I would like his chances.

2. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

1

Answered . There is not enough information here form an intelligent speculation.

3. Ian Thomas Valkenet

Pro

2

Answered . Your question lacks the factual predicate required to give a "yes" or "no" answer. Suffocating someone with a pillow CAN be charged as attempted murder. However, it is incumbent upon the State to prove the elements of the charge (including the mens rea--intent-- of the defendant).

Your question suggests that the even occurred some time ago, making proof even harder (memories fade, evidence dissipates). Further, depending on how long ago the events occurred, your potential civil claims may be barred by the applicable statute of limitations.

Consult with a local attorney to determine the viability of any potential course of action.