What is going to happened to family-forth preference (F4 - siblings) category if the immigration bill is passed?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

According to the new immigration reform, are siblings of U. S. citizens going to be added to the immediate relatives category or is this category going to be eliminated completely if the immigration bill passes the House of Representatives?
I want to file for my brother (18 years). Should I wait for the immigration reform, so that he doesn't have to wait in line for 12 years?

Thank you,
Vika

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

1

Answered . The sibling category will be eliminated so apply for him now.

2. Stanley P. Walker

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Absolutely file for him now. Not only will the sibling category be eliminated in the proposed senate bill, but the F2A category (which takes approximately half of all the visa numbers available each year) will be converted to immediate relatives, which means nearly double the visa numbers for the other categories will become available. An increase in the overall worldwide cap should mean that we would see a substantial speed up of waiting times for the remaining categories. Plus if you never file the I-130 petition, then the clock never starts running . . . . Good luck.

3. Irene Vaisman

3

1

Answered . Although the reform has not passed and we do not know whether it will or not, you should file for your brother now in order to not only start the process, but also to actually have the opportunity to file for him as the proposed law will eliminate this category if passed.

4. Charles Richard Conroy

Pro

1

Answered . I would immediately file the petition on behalf of your brother.

First of all, there is only a Senate "proposal" that would eliminate the 4th preference category. This is a long way from an actual law, since the House of Representatives also have to approve the proposed bill. What they ultimatel agree to, if anything, is