What is going to happen?

Fort Myers, FL |

I went to court for driving without a valid license and the state said that I am looking at probation time due to the fact that there was damage costs.
The judge told me to get a public offender. Will my public offeneder be able to lessen the charge to where I can do community service and pay a fine. Or am I looking a the max (6 months probation) is what is being offered?
Can they turn around and tell me jail time? This is my first incident and I have previous criminal record.

1. Driving while license suspended is a second degree misdemeanor punishable by 60 days jail and up to a $500 fine. If you have a prior driving while license suspended then it's a first degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 1year in jail and a $1000 fine. 3 driving related offenses within a 5 year period and you will be deemed a habitual traffic offender and lose your license for 5 years.

Consult with a local criminal defense lawyer to help you.

Visit our website at www.mastrolaw.com to ask your legal question or call for a more detailed free consultation for your legal issue. The information presented is for information purposes only based on the information provided. An attorney client relationship is not formed.

2. Your public defender should be able to review the discovery, all of the information that the State Attorney's Office plans to use against you, and be in a better position to mitigate the plea offer from the prosecutor. The prosecutor can always revoke their offer up until the time that you plea the case out.

3. You're best to direct these questions to your Public Defender or private attorney. The public Defender, has more than likely, handled thousands of such cases before that judge and the State Attorney. You should be in good hands.