What is Georgia's law for a Custodial parent to move out of state with the child? And is it okay ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Griffin, GA

The parents were never married,the child was never legitimized, and there is no custody agreement.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

    Contributor Level 18


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . When a child is born out of wedlock in Georgia, the mother has sole legal and physical custody. The father is not entitled to any parental rights until such time has he files an action to legitimate the child.

    Since your out-of-wedlock child has not been legitimated, there is nothing preventing you from moving out of the state.

    I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

    ~ Kem Eyo

    The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor... more
  2. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If the father never legitimized the child, the mother can go anywhere she wants. The father might attempt to prevent the move by filing a legitimization.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more

Related Topics

Mother's rights in child custody

Mother's rights covers the parental rights of the mother. These rights primarily relate to child custody, visitation, and child support.

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,295 answers this week

3,410 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,295 answers this week

3,410 attorneys answering