What is Georgia's law for a Custodial parent to move out of state with the child? And is it okay ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Griffin, GA

The parents were never married,the child was never legitimized, and there is no custody agreement.

1. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

1

Best Answer

Answered . When a child is born out of wedlock in Georgia, the mother has sole legal and physical custody. The father is not entitled to any parental rights until such time has he files an action to legitimate the child.

Since your out-of-wedlock child has not been legitimated, there is nothing preventing you from moving out of the state.

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

2

1

Answered . If the father never legitimized the child, the mother can go anywhere she wants. The father might attempt to prevent the move by filing a legitimization.