What is Fixed (Always)

no

This is one of the more obtuse questions asked recently. Assuming you are asking about what this term means on an Avvo profile it means that the attorney will quote you a flat or fixed fee for legal services: The attorney does not charge hourly or represent clients on a contingency basis but always for a agreed fixed fee.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Sorry, can't understand.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Mr. Daymude is correct. When you see this in an Avvo profile, it means the attorney does all work on a "flat fee" basis, meaning the attorney agrees to defined services for a defined fee. Whether this fee arrangement suits a given client or case is an important issue for the consumer. Most clients like the idea of a defined fee (which, by the way, is quite universally set by the attorney to benefit the attorney), but act very surprised when their case turns out to be anything but routine and additional fees are due.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

You two are good. Didn't get any of that.

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

You answered early in the morning, Michael. Obviously before your first cup of coffee. I am going to remember this response, Paula. It is a very good explanation why a "fixed fee," contrary to a client's popular belief, is a good thing.

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

*"is" should be "is not."

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

We seen the "fixed fee problem," Michael Daymude, all the time in debtor bankruptcy work.

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

Stick with us, Michael Doland, and someday you'll get good at this Avvo thing too. ;)