What is filing a conversion in civil court mean

Asked over 1 year ago - Yuba City, CA

i made a police report because a girl entered my property and took mt lawn furniture it has been 2 months and police have done nothing.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James Brian Campbell

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This question was posted in the criminal defense forum. Unless you had extremely valuable lawn furniture, you likely have a small claims action in small claims court. Conversion is the name of a cause of action for taking the property of another and using without legal authority. The police, right or wrong, are likely to view the matter as a civil rather a criminal matter.

  2. Greg Thomas Hill

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Conversion is the unauthorized ownership over the property of another to change the property's condition or in exclusion of the owner's right to it. It is also any type of conduct that deprives the owner of the property. Embezzlement is often associated with conversion in a criminal context. If someone takes another person's property and refuses to give it back.

  3. Michael Moshe Levin

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is the THIRD posting of this question by the same person. Please see above and/or prior responses.

    The opinions rendered herein are based on general principles of law. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,165 answers this week

2,993 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,165 answers this week

2,993 attorneys answering