Skip to main content

What is easier, faster and most cost efficient going for a fiance visa (k-1) or k-3 spouse visa ?

Muskegon, MI |

My fiance is from Canada and we are planning on getting married we would like to know what is the most officiant fast and cheaper way for him to come to America?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Typically, the K-1 route is faster than K-3, but there is also another option that could be faster than both K-1 and K-3. Whether or not that option is available to you will depend on your specific situation, including wedding plans, travel plans, etc. I recommend you speak with a knowledgable immigration attorney (like the ones here at Ellis Porter) to make sure you are proceeding with the quickest and most cost effective option.

Still have more questions? We would love to speak with you! Contact Ellis Porter at 248-519-9900 for specific legal advice and guidance from one of our attorneys. Please keep in mind that any information we provide in an Avvo response is general in nature and is not based on an analysis of the specific facts of your case. Our response to your question does not create an attorney-client relationship, but please feel free to contact us to discuss how we can start a working relationship with you.



What other options are available?

Marc Anthony Topoleski

Marc Anthony Topoleski


Applying directly for an immigrant visa via Consular Processing or applying for an in-country Adjustment of Status can be a preferable option for some people depending on their situation.


Fiance visa may be a little faster, but on average, both routes take approximately the same amount of time. Contact experienced immigration lawyer to assist you with the process.

Follow Gintare Grigaite, Esq. on Facebook (search for Gintare Grigaite, Esq.). Contact immigration lawyer Gintare Grigaite, Esq. of Grigaite & Abdelsayed, LLC at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey, for a consultation about your immigration case. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


You have several options available, including ones that you do not list in your question. It would be a good idea for you to consult with an immigration attorney about your situation so that you can make an informed decision about the best way to proceed.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


Cheapest: Get married first and file K3. Fastest, fiancé visa. Other factors include whether your fiancé will be in the U.S., in which case, definitely married and adjustment is the fastest.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


I venture to state the following: nothing is easier, faster and most cost efficient with the presently chaotic USCIS, staggering under the weight of its own unnecessary bureaucracy and case stagnation, which it generates rather efficiently.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer