What is DACA and do I qualify for DACA?

Asked about 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

I am 18 years old. I came to the United States when I was 12, back in June 2007 and stayed here ever since legally.
In 2010, my family applied for green card, we were placed under the EB2 category and our priority date is June 2010, we have been waiting for it a long time and still waiting.

I cannot work because I do not have SSN so I would like to give DACA a try. Now I want to know if I qualify for DACA? If I do, will it affect the process of getting my green card, my current EB2 status?

I apologize if this question is stupid or if I misunderstood what DACA is.


Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Persons wishing to apply deferred action (DACA) must meet each of following criteria:
    1.They must have come to the U.S. prior to their 16th birthday;
    2.They must have continually resided in the U.S. for at least 5 years immediately before June 15, 2012 and must be present in the U.S. on that date;
    3.They must have entered the U.S. without inspection before June 15, 2012, or their lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;
    4.They must currently be in school, have graduated from high school, obtained a general education (GED) certificate, or be an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;
    5.They cannot have been convicted of a felony offense, significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety; and
    6.They must be under the age of 31 on June 15, 2012.

    Please see

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . DACA is a deferred action program where certain childhood arrivals are granted a two-year stay of removal. These individuals may also qualify for employment authorization. It confers no further benefits. It provides no path to lawful permanent residence. You may qualify for DACA depending upon exactly what date you entered the United States. You will also need to meet several other criteria. You would be best advised to meet with an experienced immigration attorney to determine if you qualify and whether this would be a positive step for you.

    Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You appear to be a good candidate for DACA ... contact a lawyer.

    It shouldn't impair your family's EB-2 papers.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- franco@capriotti.com -- www.capriotti.com -- This blog posting... more
  4. Kaushik Shakti Ranchod


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . No question is a stupid question! Based on the information you provided you could be a great candidate for DACA. We need to ensure that you meet all of the residency requirements and that you do not have any criminal convictions that would make you ineligible. Contact our office at 916-613-3553 for our free special report on DACA.

    This information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You can call us at 916-613-3553 to schedule a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,011 answers this week

2,956 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,011 answers this week

2,956 attorneys answering