What is considered a luxury expense that cannot be discharged in bankruptcy?

Asked almost 3 years ago - El Segundo, CA

I am thinking about filing Chapter 7 but I have some fairly large purchases on my credit cards in the past 90 days. Most are definitely for regular living expenses but some are not. Is there a general standard to determine a "luxury expense or service"? Would doing superficial body work on my car be considered "luxury"? If I go to a bankruptcy attorney and pay his/her fees from a credit card, can that amount not be discharged? What about attorney's fees, in general (I was involved in a small litigation recently)?

1. Marco Antonio Torres

Pro

2

Answered . Patience is, as they say a virtue, and in this case perhaps a necessity to avoid a presumption which may be too difficult to overcome. Timing is certainly everything and if you are concerned that judgment creditor may come after your assets and/or wages then you should consider how California's 704 exemptions can help you protect your assets until the period of time has run and you are in a better position to file a petition.

2. Eric Charles Lewis

2

Answered . Really, it's just about pure common sense. If it doesn't have to do with the support, maintenance, health and safety of you and your family, it's likely a luxury or item. Cosmetic work done to your car would be a luxury expenses; replacing tires, batteries, headlights would not. Attorney fees are dischargable.

3. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

1

Answered . Case by case basis but any charges made in the 90 days before you file are presumed to be non-dischargeable and fraudulent transfers IF the credit card companies files an adversary.

4. Marc Gregory Wagman

1

Answered . Agreed it is rather common sense. Superficial body work on a car would likely be considered a luxury and not a necessity. If credit cards are used within 90 days of the filing the amounts charged are "presumed" to be non dischargeable. All the creditor need do is file an adversary. Attorneys fee's are dischargeable in a bankruptcy unless they are for alimony child support or other domestic support obligations.