What is CHINS and what will happen to me?

Asked 12 months ago - Aberdeen, SD

I recently got picked up for possession and consumption of alcohol by a minor. Today, I found out that on my court papers there's a petition for CHINS. What is CHINS and how will it affect me? I've only ever been to court before once for a traffic violation. I know of countless people who have gotten minors at my age and all they got was a fine or possibly their drivers license revoked.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Aaron D Eiesland

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . You should get a lawyer right away.

    CHINS is child in need of supervision. What it means is that you are being looked at to be sent to juvenile corrections or the like. Follow the link attached below for more information.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,834 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,834 answers this week

3,026 attorneys answering