What is child support supposed to be used for, my ex's new wife said that I should not use it for rent or utilities

Berlin, CT |

I wanted to know what the actual use of child support is. Can it be used legally for the use of house/rent payments and utilities for the house that the child lives in. Also what is cutoff for child support payments? The age when they no longer are eligible to be considered to be covered under support

1. The new wife has zero authority to tell you how to spend child support money. As long as it is spent to care for the child, it is proper use. Child support ends 1) when the property settlement agreement says it does; or 2) what the law of the state says.It can be 18,or when the child finishes its education. The law says when a child is emancipated (able to function on their own) child support ends.

You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.
    (Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find Gabriel Cheong’s legal guide on the do and don’t of finances after a divorce helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.
    (Much of this information is valid for unmarrieds who have children together).
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.

2. Most certainly you may use child support to pay for rent and utilities for the house where the child resides. Child support is intended for support of the child, which includes those kind of expenses, shelter, food, etc. It does not have to go directly to the child or for something that only benefits the child.
    The age of emancipation inCT is 18.

Child support topics