Skip to main content

What is child support purge?

Port Charlotte, FL |

my ex son-in-law was arrested for non payment but was released the same day. the release reason was child support purge

Attorney Answers 1


If someone is found in contempt of court for non-payment of child support, then the judge can order that person to be arrested. However, the person can avoid arrest if a particular amount of money (that the judge must specify) is paid toward the child support that is owed. That amount is called the "purge." If the person found in contempt doesn't pay the purge before he is arrested, then he can get out of jail once he does pay the purge amount.

Mark as helpful

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics