What is California Civil code 1954, and what does this box checked mean?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

Notice taped to door when I got home. cites civil law 1954. the box that is checked says "to exhibit the rental unit for required bank/city inspection" what exactly does this mean?

There are several boxes that are not marked:
1. to make necessary or agreed repairs
2. to do necessary or agreed decorating
3. to do necessary or agreed alterations or improvements
4.to supply necessary or agreed services
5.to exhibit the rental unit to prospective or actual purchasers
6.to exhibit the rental unit to prospective mortgages
7.to exhibit the rental unity to prospective tenants
8.to exhibit the rental unit to workmen or contractors
9.pursuant to court order
10.to inspect waterbed or liquid-filled furniture
11.to install, repair, test, and/or maintain smoke detector
12.when the resident has abandoned or surrendered the premises
13. to inspect the unit prior to the termination of the tenancy if request by resident

none of the above are checked just:
14. to exhibit rental unit for a required bank/city inspection

What exactly does that mean? Am I in some kind of violation that I am unawares of?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Answered . California Civil Code section 1954 sets forth the conditions regarding when a landlord can enter a rental dwelling. Basically, a landlord can enter a rental unit only for the following reasons:

-- In an emergency.

-- When the tenant has moved out or has abandoned the rental unit.

-- To make necessary or agreed-upon repairs, decorations, alterations, or other improvements.

-- To show the rental unit to prospective tenants, purchasers, or lenders, to provide entry to contractors or workers who are to perform work on the unit, or to conduct an initial inspection before the end of the tenancy.

-- If a court order permits the landlord to enter.

-- If the tenant has a waterbed, to inspect the installation of the waterbed when the installation has been completed, and periodically after that to assure that the installation meets the law's requirements.

The landlord must give the tenant reasonable advance notice in writing before entering the unit, and can enter only during normal business hours (generally, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays). The notice must state the date, approximate time and purpose of entry.