Skip to main content

What is breach of fiduciary duty, what is a proceeding/arbitration & What is "bankruptcy that involves funds on behalf of others

Meriden, CT |

I am currently the "Representative Payee" for a relative. Was taken into custody on 2/19/13. I did not know that she had actually been arrested or where she was until after 3/1/13, when she did not come for her SSI check. I started to call around and eventually determined her whereabouts after checking an on-line source. Before I determined where she was I used part of her SSI check to pay expenses that she incurred before leaving my home and I sent money to her during her incarceration.
Social Security now says they paid her the 3/1/13 check in error, because she was incarcerated and is requesting the payback of the whole amount. I filed a waiver of the payback or at least that part of it . I am applying for a insurance producer license

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Because your relative was in jail, she was ineligible for her SS payment, meaning you had no business cashing it. SS has every right to have the money returned, including what you paid yourself. They are saying that you breached your duty to your relative to handle her finances properly. I understand that you didn't know where she was, but that's not a justification for spending her money. You need to return the money ASAP.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer