Skip to main content

What is best to wait for Immigration reform to pass or file for I-601 waiver

Chicago, IL |

I was wondered if is best to wait for immigration reform to pass or to file for I-601 waiver which may be hard to win. And is there enough prove of hardship to win I-601 if my 21 years old son who is US citizen to apply for me. He is full time student and depend on me. Thanks in advance

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    I'd suggest starting with an I-130 (with an attorney's assistance).

    Then, you can 'balance' your options in 3-6 months, once the I-130 is approved.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. the answer to this question depends on two factors: 1. facts of the case you did not provide relative to hardship. 2. Degree of vividness of your imagination and strength of your believe in that immigration bill would indeed be passed soon.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. Your options should be evaluated by an experienced immigration attorney in person who should review all pros and cons of each options and communicate each viable option to you in person.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics