What is bail forfeiture on a traffic ticket? and also if you did traffic school and it says case closed what does that mean?

Asked over 3 years ago - Covina, CA

I recentlt got a speeeding ticket and paid it. I also completed traffic school online, all before the due date. Now when I look up the citation online it says case closed and bail forfeiture. Does this mean thst the traffic school wasnt accepted?

1. Jeffrey Donald Kent

Pro

2

Answered . It appears that they did not receive your proof of completion of traffic school. Bail forfeiture on a traffic ticket is synonymous with a guilty plea and a fine paid. It usually occurs when someone sets a case for trial and doesn't show up, or requests traffic school and does not complete it. It will cause a point to appear for DMV purposes. I recommend that you take your proof of completion of traffic school to the clerk of the court and see if they can rectify the situation. If they cannot, you can request to see the judge in order to resolve the issue.

Best of luck.

2. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

Answered . Bail forfeiture occurs when you posted bail and failed to show up in court, or in your case, complete traffic school. Any bail you posted will be used to pay your fine and you will be found guilty. You want to rectify this as soon as possible for now you will not get the benefit of attending traffic school and keeping the point off your record. Go to the clerk with your proof of completion of traffic school.

3. Judith Michael Fouladi

Answered . You probably should go to the court clerk's office, with proof of completion of traffic school. When bail has been "forfeited", it is typically for a failure to appear. There may have been a screw up and my suggestion is you take the time to check it out. Best Regards,

Judith M. Fouladi, Esq.
    Orange County
    (714) 384-6500