What is attempted grand larceny in ny

Utica, NY |

if i never left the store with the property wouldnt it be considered attempted grand larceny in the fourth and not grand larceny

Larceny is often complete after passing the point of sale, which could mean just a can register. Have a criminal defense attorney review the police report if you have one.

Edwin Drantivy

Edwin Drantivy

*cash register

John J. Carney

John J. Carney

You do not have to pass anything or leave the store, you can be arrested if you conceal an item.

Edwin Drantivy

Edwin Drantivy

One can be arrested for anything. The question is whether or not one will be convicted without evidence of permanent deprivation.

Depends on whether you passed the registers and didn't pay. That would be considered a completed crime.

John J. Carney

John J. Carney

That is not the issue, you can hide the item and be arrested before you leave the store.

George A. Vomvolakis

George A. Vomvolakis

George Vomvolakis Law Offices 275 Madison Avenue, 35th Floor New York, New York 10016 212.682.0700 www.vomlaw.com

You dont have to leave the store.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Attempted Grand Larceny is trying to steal something valued at more than $1,000. If the larceny is an E felony, it gets knocked down to an A misdemeanor on an "atempt." You do not need to pass the registers to be liable. All that is required for the criminal "act" is to treat the property inconsistently with the store's ownership prior to paying (e.g. putting it in your pants).

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

The crime has nothing to do wot passing the cash register or leaving the store. Case law in New York makes it clear that when you do something that shows an intention to steal the property, such as concealing it, or if you change a price, or try to return goods you stole, or place it in a bag, then you have committed a crime. What crime you have committed depends on the facts and circumstances of the case, including the price of the item or items in question. This is why you should retain a good criminal lawyer since most lawyers who do not have 20 or 30 years experience with criminal cases really cannot advise clients or handle these very complex matters properly.