What is attempted grand larceny in ny

Utica, NY |

if i never left the store with the property wouldnt it be considered attempted grand larceny in the fourth and not grand larceny

1. Larceny is often complete after passing the point of sale, which could mean just a can register. Have a criminal defense attorney review the police report if you have one.

2. Depends on whether you passed the registers and didn't pay. That would be considered a completed crime.

3. You dont have to leave the store.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. Attempted Grand Larceny is trying to steal something valued at more than $1,000. If the larceny is an E felony, it gets knocked down to an A misdemeanor on an "atempt." You do not need to pass the registers to be liable. All that is required for the criminal "act" is to treat the property inconsistently with the store's ownership prior to paying (e.g. putting it in your pants).

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

5. The crime has nothing to do wot passing the cash register or leaving the store. Case law in New York makes it clear that when you do something that shows an intention to steal the property, such as concealing it, or if you change a price, or try to return goods you stole, or place it in a bag, then you have committed a crime. What crime you have committed depends on the facts and circumstances of the case, including the price of the item or items in question. This is why you should retain a good criminal lawyer since most lawyers who do not have 20 or 30 years experience with criminal cases really cannot advise clients or handle these very complex matters properly.