What is an approximate cost I should expect, or number of attorney hours, for estate planning for fairly average ownership?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

I live in the Central Florida area and have seen that attorney fees range from $250-$450 per hour. I would like to have a ball park figure for initial estate set up in order to be prepared to pay the bill.

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

8

1

Answered . A growing number of estate planning attorneys in many states will be hired for estate planning on a flat-fee basis. The range of costs can vary widely because it depends on the complexity of the issues. I for instance charge flat fees, but based on a number of "optional" provisions or add-ons in the documents, depending on the client's concerns, my fees can go up. Most attorneys who are estate planning specialists are aware of the competiton and charge in the same range. I really don't know what "average ownership" means and it might be a loaded question...I would not expect to spend less than $1,500-$2,000 but I do not know the complexity so could not venture to guess beyond that.

2. Elizabeth Bertrand

6

Answered . I agree with the attorneys above. Most attorneys charge a flat rate for estate planning documents and that rate fluctuates depending on the complexity of the matter. Also, the years of experience the attorney has will likely increase the price. However, if you choose to include ancillary documents, such as a health care surrogate designation, living will, power of attorney, etc., it may be included in a package price, which would be of benefit to you.

3. Brittany Green Gloersen

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys. Flat fee is more common. My office charges $500.00 for an individual's estate plan (Basic Will, DPOA, Health Care Surrogate and Pre-Need Guardian, Living Will and Medical Authorization) and $750.00 for a couple's basic estate plan (same documents). Depending on complexity, the price can go up.

4. Dennis Michael Phillips

2

Answered . I do estate planning all over Florida; and I do not charge by the hour. I hate hourly billing because it creates a conflict right off the bat. Since my practice is a combination of financial planning and estate planning, I charge a retainer and provide as many or as few services and products as the overall Plan calls for. The "client" is usually the whole household (within reason) and often includes grandchildren or adult children.
    Since the retainer rate would depend on quite a few factors (number of persons, complexity, etc.), I can't quote a rate on this forum; but I'd be happy to consult with you over the phone for no charge in order to get to the point of providing a quote.

5. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . Many attorneys do not charge for a initial consultation and have a flat fee schedule
    Our firm is proud to post flat fees for estate planning documents.

Attorney Joe Pippen
    www.attypip.com
    joe@attypip.com

6. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

Attorney Joe Pippen
    www.attypip.com
    joe@attypip.com

7. Carla Ranum

1

Answered . Prices vary significantly depending on the city and state and quality of the attorney. Do a search on the top rated estate planning attorneys in your area and determine the variation in price. You may not need the highest rated or priced attorney if your estate is relatively simple; however, don't assume that any attorney is able to handle estate matters as the law is actually quite complex and may cover many different disciplines- depending of course on your particular circumstances and needs.