What is an approximate cost I should expect, or number of attorney hours, for estate planning for fairly average ownership?

Orlando, FL |

I live in the Central Florida area and have seen that attorney fees range from $250-$450 per hour. I would like to have a ball park figure for initial estate set up in order to be prepared to pay the bill.

A growing number of estate planning attorneys in many states will be hired for estate planning on a flat-fee basis. The range of costs can vary widely because it depends on the complexity of the issues. I for instance charge flat fees, but based on a number of "optional" provisions or add-ons in the documents, depending on the client's concerns, my fees can go up. Most attorneys who are estate planning specialists are aware of the competiton and charge in the same range. I really don't know what "average ownership" means and it might be a loaded question...I would not expect to spend less than $1,500-$2,000 but I do not know the complexity so could not venture to guess beyond that.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

I do estate planning all over Florida; and I do not charge by the hour. I hate hourly billing because it creates a conflict right off the bat. Since my practice is a combination of financial planning and estate planning, I charge a retainer and provide as many or as few services and products as the overall Plan calls for. The "client" is usually the whole household (within reason) and often includes grandchildren or adult children.
Since the retainer rate would depend on quite a few factors (number of persons, complexity, etc.), I can't quote a rate on this forum; but I'd be happy to consult with you over the phone for no charge in order to get to the point of providing a quote.

Do you know the consequences of your legal situation on your Financial & Estate Plan? Dennis Phillips is an attorney and financial planner based in South Florida. He is a member of the Florida bar, he holds the nation-wide Series 65 Investment Advisor license, and holds an insurance license in Florida and Virginia. Disclaimer: The response above is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, would significantly alter the above response.

I agree with the attorneys above. Most attorneys charge a flat rate for estate planning documents and that rate fluctuates depending on the complexity of the matter. Also, the years of experience the attorney has will likely increase the price. However, if you choose to include ancillary documents, such as a health care surrogate designation, living will, power of attorney, etc., it may be included in a package price, which would be of benefit to you.

I agree with the other attorneys. Flat fee is more common. My office charges $500.00 for an individual's estate plan (Basic Will, DPOA, Health Care Surrogate and Pre-Need Guardian, Living Will and Medical Authorization) and $750.00 for a couple's basic estate plan (same documents). Depending on complexity, the price can go up.

Many attorneys do not charge for a initial consultation and have a flat fee schedule
Our firm is proud to post flat fees for estate planning documents.

Attorney Joe Pippen
www.attypip.com
joe@attypip.com

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Attorney Joe Pippen
www.attypip.com
joe@attypip.com

Prices vary significantly depending on the city and state and quality of the attorney. Do a search on the top rated estate planning attorneys in your area and determine the variation in price. You may not need the highest rated or priced attorney if your estate is relatively simple; however, don't assume that any attorney is able to handle estate matters as the law is actually quite complex and may cover many different disciplines- depending of course on your particular circumstances and needs.

Wills and estates topics