What is an appropriate answer when asked "What is the relationship between a son-in-law and a dead mother-in-law?

Filed under: Estate planning Probate

This is a case of a decedent estate with no will and very few relatives alive. A dead mother-in-law to a living son-in-law, did their relationship ended with the death of the mother-in-law?

There is probably no legal relationship. However, if you have children, they would be heirs of their grandmother.

This posting is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. For more information, please visit www.justinelderlaw.com.

As far an inheritance?
Is your wife living?
Anyone in blood line would have preference.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

I'm not really sure the context of this. You are the parent of her grandkids if there are any? You are marrried to the decedent's daugther? I'm not being smart I just don't know who's asking and for what purpose - the relationship is defined by the word son-in-law.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

Wills and estates topics