What is Adult Protective Services good for. Can they refuse to help me if I am being exploited by family members.

Houston, TX |

I have family members who have taken advantage of me financially when I resided with them. I lived with a member who had 5 adults in the home. 4 worked, I dont because I'm disabled. The 4 stopped buy food and ate mine. After my money and food was gone I was illegally evicted and thrown out of home. Relative kept my property. I called Adult Protective Services and they said it was my fault that relative took adavantage. In another questioned I asked could APS force me to get a representative payee for SDD check. I believe that as long as APS blames me for being exploited that it allows them to NOT DO THEIR JOB. These same realtives exploited my now deceased father in the same manner. I wrote that I'm being evicted and with APS not helping I'm being forced to call the bad family again.

I suggest that you speak to your primary care Doctor or to his Nurse or PA. These folks usually have other contacts that can help you.
    A pastor or priest or Rabbi that you have trust in may also be able to help you. I have found that medical and /or faith based sources are often superior to Government Agencies for this type of problem

-Marion W. Cain Law Offices of Marion W. Cain, P.C., 127 Lewis Street, San Antonio, Texas 78212 (210) 226-2161 website: www.marioncainlaw.com email: mwcainlaw@grandecom.net. This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice". Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

2. Write the governor of your state setting forth the facts and maybe your congress man as well

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.

3. Adult protective services is charges with investigating allegations that a vulnerable adult is being abused and taking appropriate action if APS feels action is warranted. Since APS agencies are local, if you are unhappy with the agency, you can contact the agency head and/or that person's boss.

Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com for articles and Q&A on elder law, special needs, wills, trusts, estates, and tax. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com/blog and subscribe for free timely updates to be delivered to your inbox. Information on both Avvo and SpecialNeedsNJ.com does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation or be subject to important changes. No attorney client relationship exists unless set forth in written engagement terms.

Wills and estates topics