What is a supervised release? How does it effect or help a sentence of seven and a half years?

Houston, TX |

I am curious to know what supervised releases are and how they might effect a love one from coming home.

As part of your loved one's federal sentence, he or she is sentenced to supervised release in addition to the term of imprisonment. It is essentially a probation-like component to the sentence, and can range up to five years, though three years is more typical. During supervised release, the defendant must regularly check in with the U.S. Probation Office, and must not commit any violations of the many terms of supervised release -- which includes not committing any crimes, and complying with drug and alcohol restrictions. A violation of the terms of supervised release may result in additional imprisonment.

Thank you so much. :)

I agree with my Avvo colleague but would add. Supervised Release us the period after the prison sentence is served. It is ordered as a part of the sentence by the sentencing judge. It dies not increase or decrease the actual sentence. In some jurisdictions it was formerly called Parole.

Of course, every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney before acting. Law Offices of Raymond G. Wigell, Ltd. Defenders of the Constitution since 1975/ Aggressive Creative Defense Strategies/ Website: www.waaltd.com 24/7 call (708) 481-4800 text (708)218-0923

Ok, thanks! Very helpful information...

Raymond George Wigell

Raymond George Wigell

You are wrlcome. I'd appreciate it if you could check mark my answer as helpful. Thanks again for your kind comment.

Supervised release is a separate component of a federal sentence that requires a defendant to be supervised by a US probation officer after the defendant's release from prison and community confinement (which includes halfway-house or "residential re-entry center" and home confinement). The defendant will be required to report regularly to a probation officer, and to abide by all terms and conditions of supervised release. However, the supervised release component of the sentence has no effect on the length of time that will be served in custody.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
866.380.1782