What is a status hearing in regards to child custody?

Marion, IL |

My husband and the mother of his child are dealing with getting things ironed out regarding custody of their 2 year old son. He has heard nothing from his attorney recently after attempts to contact him about their case. The mother of their son advised him they have a "review" for the case this Friday and he need not be present. We looked on a website called JUDICI and saw that he is scheduled for a status hearing on that day. I know there have been some cases where neither party was required to be at the courthouse. Would he need to be present for a status hearing?

Most judges manage their docket (list of cases they are in charge of) by having regular status conferences to make sure the lawyers are actively working on the case. This sounds very similar to your situation. In many cases, the party does not have to be present if the lawyer is there. However, you should make sure your lawyer is going to attend. It is common to not have the client participate in a status conferences, but you can attend if you like.

If you are really represented by an attorney the attorney advise should be followed. So, if your attorney said you need not attend a status hearing Friday, follow that advise.

A "status hearing" is a calendar date session called by the judge to assess and determine the relative progress in the case from both sides, how things stand insofar as the resolution and to set future calendar dates.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody