What is a speedy trial

Brooklyn, NY |

Do I still have a right to a speedy trial while out on bail

1. Yes you do. Posting bail does not deny you a right to a speedy trial.

2. Yes. You can check out section 30.30 of the criminal procedure law for the applicable time periods. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Brooklynlaw.net Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

3. Yes. A speedy trial is the time in which the prosecution must be ready for trial or the case gets dismissed. It is a different period of time depending on the level of charge.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. Yes. Speak to your attorney.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

5. The prosecutor has 90 days for a misdemeanor or six months for felony to announce readiness for trial or the case can be dismissed by the judge upon a written motion by your lawyer. If he prosecutor announces he is ready for trial in court or by letter the requirement met unless he cannot produce a witness or asks for an adjournment again, at which time the clock begins running again.